Hyaluronic Acid, also referred to as Hyaluronan or Hyaluronate, has leapt into the beauty spotlight more than ever in recent years, with beauty editors and beauty brands boasting about the wonderful benefits of this super skin hero! Hyaluronic Acid can be found everywhere, from serums and lotions, but also making its way into foundations and lipstick too! It’s also the main ingredient in injectable fillers so it’s no surprise that beauty brands across the globe are formulating their products with Hyaluronic Acid, particularly when it comes to reducing the signs of ageing! Before we delve into the benefits of this fabulous ingredient, let’s understand a little more about what this ingredient actually is…
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic Acid is naturally found in the human body, acting as an essential component of the skin. Acting as a cushioning and lubrication factor within the skin, Hyaluronic Acid is produced by fibroplasts and helps to support our joints, skin and hair. What’s incredibly special about this ingredient is its unique ability to attract and retain more than 1,000 times its weight in water. This is essential when it comes to keeping your skin super hydrated. It’s also essential for keeping your skin’s cells “plump”and the cellular walls “rigid”. Unfortunately, as we age, our skin’s moisture drops significantly (partially due to the loss of Hyaluronic Acid), making the skin lose elasticity and expose signs of ageing on the skin.
Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid…
- Helps to ensure your skin cells are in their optimum condition, as well as improving the absorption of other active ingredients.
- Improves your skin’s moisture content and strengthens the skin’s barrier (outer layers of the skin).
- Acts as a multitasking anti-ageing ingredient with providing antioxidant defence against free-radical damage and helping to reduce inflammation.
- Aside from drinking plenty of water, hyaluronic acid helps combat dehydration, stimulate cell repair and production.
- The texture of hyaluronic acid means it’s great for all skin types, so it won’t smother combination/oily skin types, but it’s also gentle enough for sensitive skin types too!
Our favourite Hyaluronic-Acid Containing Products…
Elemis Hydra-Balance Day Cream
This ultra-light day cream locks in moisture and provides hydration all day long! A beautiful aromatic blend of petitgrain, neroli and mandarin make this cream an absolute pleasure to use too.
Eve Lom Intense Hydration Serum
Clinically proven to boost your skin’s moisture by up to 20% in two hours, it’s no surprise that the Intense Hydration Serum is one of Eve Lom’s best-sellers!
This Works No Wrinkles Wonder Essence
A daily treatment of the No Wrinkles Wonder Essence will help to refine & reduce skin imperfections, whilst the Hyaluronic Acid will help with multi-layer skin regeneration! It’s your beautician in a bottle!